During the four years that I spent gathering, sorting, and arranging the content for The Upside of Hunger, I recorded well over 400 conversations with Adam. It never felt like work. Any time Adam shared a story, it was impactful. Some stories were shocking, some were tragic, some were funny. None were boring. The first one I’ve chosen to share with you still makes me laugh. It is from a conversation we had about the summer of 1953. Adam had been in Canada for about 18 months and was staying at a boarding house in Vancouver. Everything was new, and every day was an adventure. Just how he liked it! The photo above was taken a few months later. If you’ve already read Upside, you’ll recognize the story as Adam relays it in the following 5-minute recording. It may take a few moments to download. Enjoy…
- Meet Ayden, recipient of The Upside of Hunger Bursary!
- Self-published Book Awards: The Upside of Hunger
- Video: The Upside of Hunger now used in BC high schools
- Video: FROM THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR of The Upside of Hunger – Adam as a child
- Video Interview CFJC Midday – Author of ‘The Upside of Hunger’ explores the true tale of a man who triumphed over the limitations of history